Heart & Vascular Center
Heart & Vascular Center
At the Heart & Vascular Center at Providence, we know that timing is everything when treating a cardiovascular condition. Heart and vascular patients benefit greatly when they receive the right treatment quickly, and that’s why we offer many advanced treatments and services in one location. From cardiac testing and heart rhythm management to minimally invasive and traditional heart procedures, we deliver the best possible care quickly and efficiently – right here.
Our qualified providers are highly experienced. They treat some of the most complex heart and vascular conditions in the community while also meeting and exceeding national quality benchmarks. With more than 300 open-heart surgeries and 3,000 cardiac procedures performed each year, they care for more heart and vascular patients than any other facility in Alaska, making them the providers of choice.
Put simply: You can trust your heart to our care.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States – but it’s not really a single disease. Many different disorders can affect your heart and blood vessels. As the state’s most comprehensive heart and vascular program, we treat most cardiovascular conditions, including:
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- Carotid artery disease
- Chest pain and angina
- Congenital heart disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Dialysis access
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Heart infections
- Heart murmur
- Structural heart disease
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Valvular heart disease
Our services are based on a whole person approach. We use the most advanced technologies and treatment methods, but we don’t stop there. With superior rehabilitation, education, prevention and support programs, we want to set you on the path to a healthier you and a stronger heart.
Advanced diagnostics and treatments we offer include:
- CT imaging
- Circulatory support for cardiogenic shock
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Implantable cardio defibrillator
- Nuclear scans
Learn more about our most advanced services:
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement is a gentler, minimally invasive procedure for severe aortic stenosis
- AngioVac is a minimally invasive procedure for the treatment of Tricuspid Valve Endocarditis
- Convergent Surgical Ablation is a surgeon and electrophysiology cardiologist procedure for the treatment of atrial fibrillation
- MitraClip is a percutaneous/minimally invasive mitral regurgitation repair
- Remote monitoring technology - CardioMEMs is a heart failure monitoring system to support treating patients early on before they become at risk for further hospitalizations.
- Micra AV are small leadless pacemakers that can be implanted into your heart through a vein in your leg.
The specialists you’ll see at the Heart and Vascular Center at Providence will depend on your individual condition and needs. Your care team may include experts from many medical specialties. Working together, these providers give you the most complete care possible. They keep your heart at the center of all they do as they work to meet their promise to the community of Know Me, Care for Me, Ease My Way.
These and other care providers are part of the Providence cardiovascular team:
- Cardiac rehabilitation nurses
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Cardiovascular surgeons
- Cardiovascular technicians
- Case Managers
- Clinical care coordinator
- Exercise specialists
- Financial counselors
- Interventional cardiologists
- Interventional radiologists
- Nurse educators
- Nurse Navigators
- Nurse practitioners
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Physician assistants
- Registered dietitians
- Registered nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- Social workers
- Structural heart coordinators
- Vascular Surgeons
As part of our whole person care approach, we offer a range of rehabilitation and heart disease prevention services.
Whether you’re recovering from a cardiovascular event or hoping to prevent such an event in your future, our rehabilitation and preventive services can help you improve your cardiovascular health through exercise and education. Our services include telemetry, a variety of rehabilitative exercise targeting post-cardiac procedure recover and pulmonary issues as well as education on stress management, yoga, healthy living, smoking cessation, diet, diagnosis and treatment.
We strive to provide all-inclusive patient care which provides patients and their families the information, support, and follow-up that is unparalleled in the state. Nurse navigators are clinical specialists who spend one on one time with patients and families to answer questions, provide education, remove barriers to care, and ensure proper preparation as well as follow up for procedures. Providence is proud to offer nurse navigation services for the Heart & Vascular Center, Structural Heart, Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Heart Failure.
Our mission is to equip our patients and their families with the tools necessary to manage their cardiac conditions for improved quality of life and minimal hospitalization. We provide one-on-one education to our patients and their caregivers on topics that include medications, lifestyle modification, symptoms to recognize and when to contact the physician. Our goal is to ease the way of our patients through our services so that those we serve might better understand the cardiovascular system of care, gain and maintain access and empower them to lead their own healthcare journey.
- Providence Heart Guide - Great recipes and wonderful information at your fingertips!
- Daily Weight Tracker - This grid allows you to track your weight and blood pressure on a daily basis. You should complete this grid and bring it with you to each doctor’s appointment.
- Reading a Food Label for Sodium Content - This tool is designed to help you understand what to look for when reading a food label. Share these tips with family members or caretakers who prepare your meals.
- Providence Heart Failure Guide
- Heart Failure Zone Tool
- American Heart Association
- Center for Disease Control
- Alaska’s Tobacco Quit Line - 1-800-QUIT-NOW
- Mended Hearts Alaska - A volunteer education/support group consisting of people who have heart disease, their spouses, family members, medical professionals and other interested individuals.