Providence Pediatric Urology-St. Vincent
When a urinary or genital condition impacts your child’s life, the experts at Providence Pediatric Urology provide complete care. Our board-certified pediatric urologists care for the entire genital-urinary system, which includes kidneys, bladder and genitals.
We provide surgical and non-surgical treatment options. Our urologic surgeons perform routine surgeries as well as more-complex procedures for newborns, children and teens.
We collaborate with multiple specialists to diagnose and find the best treatment for your child. We use a team approach and many communication options, such as in-person or virtual visits, to fit your family’s needs.
Our pediatric urologic team answers all your questions to ease any concerns. We believe that providing quality care includes giving you the information you need to fully participate in your care.
You may have a lot of questions if your child needs surgery. We are here to guide you through the process. You and your child may be worried about what will happen. We take the time to explain what needs to be done and why, so that you and your child fully understand and are comfortable with the care plan.
To provide the best possible care we offer:
- Clinics designed with children and families in mind
- A focus on the comfort of families in our care · Surgeries and procedures performed at the Gerry Frank Center for Children’s Care, on the Providence St. Vincent campus. The Gerry Frank Center for Children’s Care is designed for and exclusively cares for children.
- The best care for your child, consistent with what we would want for our own child
Our multidisciplinary team approach includes doctors, nurses, medical assistants, social workers, and behavioral health providers. We partner with other specialty clinics, primary care physicians, patients, and their families to develop a personalized care plan to meet the needs of our patients.
Our pediatric urology caregivers diagnose and manage genital and urologic conditions in infants, children and teens, including:
- Genital disorders
- Undescended testicle
- Penile lesion, mass, curvature
- Foreskin or circumcision problems
- Testicular pain
- Urethral stricture
- Urinary streaming problems
- Kidney disorders
- Bladder issues
- Bladder infection/urinary tract infections
- Urinary reflux
At Providence, the pediatric urology team uses a variety of tests to look for signs of infection and see what’s happening inside the body. Some examples include:
- Basic metabolic panel (BMP) tests the blood to check the body’s fluid balance, levels of electrolytes and kidney function.
- Renal and bladder ultrasound uses sound waves to take pictures of the bladder, kidneys and ureters (tubes that connect the kidneys and bladder).
- Scrotal ultrasound uses sound waves to take pictures of the testicles, blood vessels and other small structures within the scrotum.
- Urinalysis and urine culture tests samples of urine to check for infection or the presence of blood, sugar and other substances in the urine.
- Voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) uses x-rays to take pictures of the bladder when it is full and when it is emptying to see how the urinary tract is working. This is a test that evaluates for reflux or backwards flow of urine, which can make a child at risk for infections.
Your child’s treatment options depend on their diagnosis. Our team of anesthesiologists, child life specialists, hospitalists, nurses, pharmacists and therapists provides:
- Physical therapy
- Surgery if needed
- Non-surgical treatments
If your child needs surgery… our goal is to help your child feel comfortable before, during and after a procedure.
Your care team may ask you to complete certain forms for your child, such as:
If your child needs surgery, the following links provide helpful information:
Providence Children's Health of Oregon
A Leader in Caring for Kids – Serving Tens of Thousands of Children in Oregon Each Year.
At Providence Children’s Health, we understand children’s bodies and minds react differently than adults to injury, illness, medications and therapy. Our compassionate teams do everything they can to give your child the best possible experience. We offer everything from routine primary care to emergency and hospital care – for newborns, children and teens.
We value our network of referring physicians and make every effort to partner with providers and tailor treatment for each patient. Learn more about provider resources.
Free pregnancy and parenting app
Circle® is a free pregnancy and parenting app that provides useful health resources, top-notch pregnancy calculator and tools to help track ovulation, weight, blood pressure, and vaccinations. Enjoy easy access to program information, services and classes, too! Plus, when you connect to MyChart through Circle, you will receive appointment reminders for you and your children. Learn more.