Move More, Eat Healthy Initiative
Adults and children with dangerously high blood pressure. Kids unable to run more than a few feet. Depression. These are some of the effects of the obesity epidemic among Americans. In fact, one out of three kids and 60 percent of adults are now considered overweight or obese.
Physicians are seeing an alarming rise in Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and "non-alcoholic" fatty liver disease. Obesity puts every major organ at risk.
To help reverse the trend, St. Jude Medical Center is sponsoring a series of initiatives designed to combat obesity. These initiatives are focused on improving nutrition, enhancing physical activity and supporting healthy lifestyle policies in low income neighborhoods of North Orange County.
Some of the activities we are involved with include:
- The Lunchtime Exercise Action Program coordinates a moderate to vigorous physical activity program they offer to students during their lunch break.
- Participation in School District Wellness Councils provides an opportunity to enhance school-based policies and programs.
- Providing leadership and support to city collaborations who wish to develop obesity prevention plans.
- Working with cities to incorporate health language as they update their general plans and assist them in implementing Healthy Eating Active Living Resolutions.
- Supporting campaigns such as Move More Eat Healthy Orange County and Move More Eat Healthy La Habra.
- Working with pre-schools on policies to support healthy lifestyle issues.
- Advocating for an active transportation vision in Orange County.
- Providing support for outdoor fitness equipment and community gardens.
- It is through education, improved physical activity and nutrition programs and advocating for healthy lifestyle policies with many community partners that should help reverse the increasing trend of childhood overweight and obesity.
For more information about the Healthy Weight Initiatives, please call 714-446-7086.