St. Jude Medical Center
St. Jude Medical Center
Well-known for our clinically superior breast care, the Kathryn T. McCarty Breast Center is at the forefront of protecting women’s health through screenings, education, diagnosis, treatment and support.
In addition to being named a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology, we are one of only a handful of hospitals in the state to be recognized by the National Quality Measures for Breast Centers Program (NQMBC) for exceeding national benchmarks in over 30 separate criteria.
While our quality of care continues to earn awards, the only measurement that truly matters is our success in protecting and safeguarding the health of every woman who walks through our doors.
A nationally-recognized Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, our Breast Center offers the entire range of diagnostic options, to complement our full spectrum of services. By combining the expertise of breast specialists with advanced technologies we are able to provide you with quicker, safer and more accurate diagnoses of breast cancer and conditions. If a potential problem is found, the next step in testing and diagnosis is immediately available.
We offer screening options including:
- Fine needle breast biopsy
- MRI-guided biopsy
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided core biopsy
- Computer-Assisted Detection (CAD)
- 3-D Digital Mammography
- Screening mammograms
- Diagnostic mammograms
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Breast MRI)
We bring a unique expertise to each woman’s care, from experienced breast radiologists—who offer uncommon accuracy in diagnosis and breast imaging—to highly–respected breast surgeons, performing today’s newest breast conservation and cancer removal techniques.
If needed, a patient’s care seamlessly includes the skill and expertise of our nationally-distinguished St. Jude Crosson Cancer Institute. State-of-the-art approaches to immunotherapy, next generation radiotherapy, and new surgical techniques are allowing us to treat cancer more successfully than ever thought possible. Equally important, we offer one of Southern California’s most comprehensive lists of services, allowing us to offer a level of practical and emotional support that is as remarkable as our medical excellence. The core team dedicated to your care includes:
- Medical Oncologists who offer individuals the most advanced therapies for the treatment of breast cancer as well as participation in a wide range of clinical trials and research studies
- Genetic Counselors specializing in cancer genetics and risk assessment
- Nurse Navigators, Oncology Nurses and Social Workers exclusively dedicated to the care and support of individuals with breast cancer
- Pathologists specializing in the diagnosis of breast cancer
- Radiation oncologists with research and clinical expertise in the most advanced breast therapy techniques
- Radiologists dedicated to breast imaging and the diagnosis of cancer
- Surgeons with special training in breast and oncoplastic surgery, and plastic surgeons who specialize in the latest reconstruction techniques to improve appearance
- Technologists dedicated to breast care and highly trained in providing complex imaging exams and procedures
Receiving a diagnosis of breast cancer can be overwhelming. Many women think and feel that their options are limited and that they need to act immediately. However, there is time to get a second opinion, not only to confirm the diagnosis, but to gather as much information as possible so you can make the best decision for your health.
We offer surgical and diagnostic second opinions
We offer consultations for patients seeking a second opinion about their treatment options. Our goal is to give patients enough information so they feel comfortable taking the next step in managing and treating their disease. Second opinions are available in these specialties:
- Pathologists offer expert review of patient slides.
- Patients can submit images to be re-read by our dedicated breast radiologists.
- Surgical oncologists offer an expertise in breast surgical oncology. A second opinion with a surgeon typically involves confirmation of diagnosis and review of imaging studies (or additional studies if needed).
- Our reconstructive surgeons consult with patients who are newly diagnosed or who have completed treatment and want to explore their options. They also provide consultations for patients who are seeking corrections on surgeries received elsewhere.
- Radiation Oncologists offer a consult on treatment options, understand these options and help you make an informed decision about which is best for you.
- Medical Oncologists are frequently consulted for treatment plans, even if the patients are not treated at St. Jude Medical Center.