Preparation for your experience with Providence
We welcome job shadows and student observers to Providence St. Mary Medical Center and hope you have a wonderful experience with us!
All requests for job shadow experiences must be made in writing to Education Services. Submitting a request does not guarantee placement. All items must be completed prior to your job shadow/observations experience.
- Must be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Pass a Washington State Patrol (WSP) background check (we will run this)
- Provide proof of immunization status including COVID-19 immunizations for shadows or observations that will be more than one day or will take place in the Operating Room
- Submit completed orientation packet to Education Services
Required vaccinations for ALL job shadow and observation experiences:
- Annual Influenza vaccine - Documentation of vaccination
- COVID vaccination(s)
Required vaccination records for a job shadow or observation experience that will consist of multiple days and/or will take place in the Operating Room:
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) - Documentation of two MMR vaccines and/or positive titers
- Varicella (Chickenpox) - Documentation of two varicella vaccines and/or positive titer
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) - Documentation of vaccinations
- Hepatitis B (Hep B) - Documentation of Hep B vaccinations and/or positive titer
- Tuberculosis - IGRA (Q-Gold or T-Spot blood test) or tuberculin 2-step skin test within the last 12 months. If history of positive, please provide copies of chest x-ray results after positive TB test and medical clearance note from your provider
- Tuberculosis screening questionnaire – To be completed with and signed by a healthcare provider
***Please note that although the immunizations and tests listed above are not required for job shadows less than one day, they are highly recommended for all participants.
Before you get started:
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader. This will allow you to view PDF documents and use the e-signature features on the forms.
Please allow yourself sufficient time to complete the requirements listed below as some items may take several weeks.
We recommend that you download the forms and open in Adobe Acrobat Reader to take advantage of the e-signature features.
- Job Shadow Application
- Birth Certificate, ID, or Driver's License
- Copy of your personal health insurance card (if possible)
- Copy of your immunizations records if required (as listed in section above)
- Orientation completion record (complete and sign): This form provides a record of each topic completed during orientation as well as procedures, protocols, and policies you have read
Submit your paperwork via email to Education Services, or send via mail to:
PO Box 1477
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Once all your paperwork has been submitted and reviewed, and you have been cleared to shadow or observe at Providence St. Mary Medical Center, you will be contacted with more information on how to set up dates and times for your job shadow or observation experience.