Breakthrough Substance Use Treatment Program
At Providence Alaska Medical Center, our Breakthrough program helps individuals 13 and older with substance use problems. We’re here with the counseling, support and other care you need to get your life back on track. Since we’re an outpatient program, you can develop the skills for sober living in your own home environment.
Our Breakthrough team consists of psychiatrists, masters-level therapists, advanced nurse practitioners and peer support specialists. Our therapists integrate trauma-focused therapies into their approaches to client care. This can be very helpful since trauma often occurs along with substance use.
You can come to us with a referral from your health care provider, or you can contact us on your own. For more information, or for your provider to make a referral, please call 907-212-6970.
Our scientifically based program offers every client a mental health therapist and access to medication management to help their road to sobriety. We also offer therapy sessions with you and your family to help with your recovery. We provide these services to all our clients, regardless of the level of care they receive.
Our care levels include:
- Pretreatment — allows people who are waiting for their initial assessment date to see a therapist right away for an hour.
- Partial hospitalization — designed for those who need full-time, highly structured treatment and support.
- Intensive outpatient — people who require a moderate level of structure but not full-time.
- Outpatient — for people who need support and some structure.
- Medication-assisted treatment — combines therapy and medications to treat substance use disorders.
- Pregnant mother program — expectant mothers who are dependent on opioids can receive medication-assisted treatment during their pregnancy.
- Family program — offers education and support services for individuals and family members.
- Adolescents and teens — we also help younger people manage substance use.
Our therapies will help you develop emotional and cognitive insights into your addiction process. In addition to our treatment levels, we also offer:
- A 12-step approach to addiction treatment.
- Mental health care — our psychiatrist meets with all our clients and can prescribe medications if needed. You can also be referred to a therapist or psychiatrist for ongoing care.
- Walk-In Clinic — we provide you with daily opportunities to walk in for services without an appointment.
- SMART recovery — Self-Management and Recovery Training and involves support groups where people help each other resolve problems with addiction.
- Seeking Safety — this evidence-based treatment model helps with post-traumatic stress disorder, which often occurs alongside substance use.
To ensure that you receive the best treatments, one of our therapists will talk with you to determine the level of care that’s right for you. You can also expect reminder calls from us about when you should arrive.
As you prepare for treatment with us, please start by thinking about your goals for treatment. For example, what are you willing to do to make a change in your life, and what are you unwilling to do? What do you want to get out of your treatment?
You should also avoid excessive use of substances. However, please don’t abruptly stop without the supervision of a doctor. We can refer you to withdrawal management services before you engage with Breakthrough.
Depending on your level of care, you will be required to attend between eight and 22 hours of group therapy. This is in addition to your individual psychotherapy and medication management appointments.
You can expect to form new communication and coping skills to help you manage your addictive behaviors and uncomfortable emotional reactions. Our clients may also become more stable emotionally and in relationships. Our medical providers can help you better manage your physical symptoms of addiction, and many of our clients feel better overall after stopping their substance use.