Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
The orthopedic surgeons on the medical staff at Providence St. Mary Medical Center diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions including sports injuries and arthritis.
Our surgeons perform many knee, hip and shoulder replacements each year. They work closely with your primary care provider and a team of rehabilitation therapists and specialists to help you achieve the best outcomes possible.
Ask for an orthopedic referral to discuss treatment options if you’re experiencing:
- Ongoing pain that limits your movement and ability to participate in favorite activities
- Joint pain that wakes you up at night
- No relief from over-the-counter medications and lifestyle changes
Our orthopedic experts are here to answer your questions and help find solutions that enhance your quality of life.
Our team provides diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of conditions and injuries that impact the joints. Conditions we treat include:
- Acute and complex fractures
- Degenerative joint disease
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Heel spurs
- Hip bursitis
- Joint dislocations
- Ligament injuries
- Labral and meniscus tears
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- Overuse injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Rotator cuff injuries and tears
- Shoulder separation and instability
- Sports injuries
- Tendon disorders
For some joint replacements we use the the Exactech GPS Guided technology which combines surgeon expertise with an advanced computer system, similar to a navigation device in your car. This technology allows for advanced accuracy, quicker healing and recovery. We are the only surgeons in the area using this technology for joint replacements as determined by individual care needs.
Procedures performed include:
- Total and partial knee replacement
- Total hip replacement
- Total shoulder and reverse total shoulder replacement
- Total ankle replacement
- Joint revision procedures
With these advanced surgical techniques and technologies, even the most painful and damaged joints can be replaced easily. After surgery, our patients often resume activities that they once thought would be impossible.
The right combination of conservative therapies can help preserve joint function and relieve pain for many people. We offer:
- Guidance on diet changes and nutritional supplements
- Hot and cold therapy
- Oral and topical medications
- Pain-relieving injections
- Physical therapy
- Therapeutic exercise programs
Take our brief quiz to help you better understand the condition of your joints. Based on your results, we’ll offer helpful treatment options.
Our orthopedic services include:
- Orthopedic surgery - Our orthopedic doctors work as a team with physical therapists to keep people healthy and active. To help minimize the risk of injury, we provide information on fall prevention, flexibility, conditioning and prevention.
- Arthroscopic surgery - Arthroscopic surgery, or arthroscopy, is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that allows our surgeons to examine and treat damage to the inside of a joint. Surgeons using this technique employ an "arthroscope," which is a device that can be inserted into the patient's body through a small incision.
- Joint replacement - When a joint is so severely damaged by disease or injury, a joint replacement may be considered.
- Spine care - From physical therapy and pain management to surgery, our expert neurosurgeons and spine care teams can help you restore function and improve your quality of life.
- Bone, joint or muscle pain or injuries
- Diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal injuries
- Chronic/overuse injuries
- Tendinitis and tendinosis
- Sprains and strains
- Concussion management
- Sports clearance
- Sports cardiology
- Sports pulmonology (asthma in the athlete, vocal cord dysfunction)
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Injections for pain and inflammation, including hyaluronic acid
- Exercise prescription and counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Exercising with chronic conditions counseling
- Pre-participation physicals
- Concussion management
- EKG evaluation and interpretation for high-risk athletes
- Scuba evaluation
- Outdoor/backcountry wilderness medicine disaster preparedness/planning
Find a Doctor
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.
Joint Replacement Surgery Patient Education
Are you undergoing joint replacement surgery? Join us for a free educational video series designed to help you prepare and relieve any anxiety you may have. This video series is designed to prepare patients for their upcoming total hip or knee replacement surgeries.
Manage Your Care with MyChart
When you sign up for MyChart, you can manage your own medical record and your family’s medical records from home or any computer, tablet, or smartphone. Login to MyChart to:
- Connect with your doctor
- Email your care team
- Pay your hospital bill
- Request prescription refills
- Schedule an appointment
- View lab results