Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia, WA, is a 372-bed, not-for-profit hospital with Magnet recognition. We provide first class cardiac, cancer, neuroscience and orthopedic care.
- Becky Brewer
- Greg Cuoio
- Susan Hettinger
- Eileen McKenzieSullivan
- William Mitchell, M.D.
- Ian Timms, M.D.
- Daidre West
- Rachel Wood, M.D., MPH
- Steve Ward
- Richard Stride , Psy. D, MBA, LMHC
- Brian Mittge
- Amber Lewis
- Peggy King
- Joann Hutchinson
- Jennifer Groberg
Community benefit investments are one way Providence lives its Mission. For generations, we’ve offered a caring hand to those with the greatest need in our community.
In 2019, our Providence ministries focused on the issues that matter most to our diverse communities by investing more than $619.3 million in community benefit across Washington.
Community Health Needs Assessments
For generations, Providence has partnered with people of goodwill to offer a caring hand of compassion. We collaborate with social service and government agencies, charitable foundations, community organizations, universities and many other partners to identify the greatest needs through community health needs assessments. Then our solutions are reflected in community health improvement plans.
1943-1989Key Dates & Milestones
- 1955: The nursing school graduates its last class after training 341 nurses over 35 years.
- 1965: The Sisters create an advisory board of 16 male community leaders to strengthen the hospital's bond with the community.
- 1968: Coronary care unit opens with additional cardiac monitoring equipment.
- 1971: Opening of the current day hospital tower on Lilly Road.
- 1974: The first lay administrator, David Bjornson, takes over from Sister Claire Gagnon
- 1975: Regional Cancer Center earns accreditation from the American College of Surgeons.
- 1975: CAT scanning is introduced, followed by ultrasound in 1976.
- 1979: St. Peter Community Health Foundation (later Providence Southwest Washington Foundation) begins its work to further the Sister's mission to meet health care needs.
- 1982: Construction starts on a $34.4 million expansion, which includes a short stay surgery wing, psychiatric unit, intensive and coronary care, surgery, maternity and nursery areas.
- 1984: Free-standing 26-bed psychiatry unit opens.
- 1985: First cardiac catherization laboratory opens.
- 1987: Sunshine House, a community effort headed by the Altrusa Club of Olympia, opens to provide temporary housing for families of patients.
- 1988: The Foundation launches its first Christmas Forest auction, which now raises more than $450,000 annually for health care needs.