"My wife and I grew up in Fullerton and Shortly after our children, a son born in 1968 and a daughter born in 1974 at St. Jude I went to work for the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1976 in Orange. My position there allowed me to know most of the Sisters well such that I was probably the only male allowed to their Residence for their food needs. Although I only worked for them for 5 years my wife spent over 32 years at St. Joseph after training at St. Jude.

I was lucky to have known the Sisters (under Sister Superior Frances Dunn- who was not shy about marching with Cesar Chavez a few times) before SJH became a large corporation. Because of the Sisters' overall mission, which my wife and I shared, we knew that we would always insist on all our medical needs at their St. Jude medical family of doctors and when I have visited for various medical needs as I age I always felt like I was just coming home where I fully trusted my caregivers. I especially am grateful to the Cancer Team because after all, I'm here."

"I will be hitting 7 years cancer free in October. I cannot convey enough how wonderful the staff at St. Jude was from the first day I went in to see my primary care doctor to even today. I was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 28 years old. I didn't get tested for the gene until after I was diagnosed but I knew it was always a strong possibility. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 34. She fought a long hard 5 years before losing her battle in 1991, when I was only 10 years old.

I never thought about the possibility of having breast cancer, until I found a lump and a few days later my lymph nodes were painfully swollen. I went to see my primary care physician, Dr. Ford, who immediately sent me over for a mammogram. The mammogram showed a cyst and underneath the cyst, they found a solid mass. This was the start of many appointments and procedures that come with being diagnosed. It's definitely not like the movies where you get you diagnosis within an hour of being admitted into the hospital.

I met with Dr. Smith for my initial consult before making an appointment for my biopsy. I was still numb at this point, not thinking too much of all the appointments or the looming possibility that the mass could be cancer. It wasn't until I was in the exam room for my biopsy, my arm over my head, and the Doctor prepping to stick a needle directly into my breast, it hit me...I have breast cancer. The flood of emotion of what was to come overwhelmed me and I started to sob, as quietly as I could.

I distinctively remember the Doctor asking me if I was crying because it hurt and I shook my head no. He paused and put his hand on my shoulder and tried to calm me down. When he was done the nurse took me into another room for a mammogram. At this point, my sobbing was no longer quiet. I confessed to her that I knew my results would be positive. I don't remember the conversation we had but in the end we were both crying. Her name was Connie, I think. She told me I had the room for however long I needed it and gave me a hug. I took advantage of this time to collect myself. What I didn't know is the nurse called Dr. Smith who cut her lunch short to see me. She didn't come in to discuss the procedure, or give me some kind of medical pep talk, she came in to give me a hug and provide some comfort. I cried into her shoulder for a few minutes, I'm sure I left a spot of tries on her blouse.

I share this particular story because this kindness is what gave me strength to endure the next few months of treatment. Iím not sure if the Doctor from the biopsy remembers me or if Connie can recall that day, but I can and always will. The empathy they showed me is what gave me the confidence that I choose the right hospital and medical staff. To them, I was a person not just a name on a file. I could really go on and on about how wonderful everyone was, especially how great Dr. Ford and Dr. Patel have been to me over the years. Iíll leave my story at this because after I left the hospital that day, I no longer had the overwhelming feeling of dread but overcoming feeling that things will be okay."

"I am writing this on behalf of my husband Eugene Harris who has been a patient many times since 2013-2014 and current. The care that he has received since the first time was beyond amazing. That really doesn't describe it. The nurses he had were outstanding. They are so needed, we could not ever thank them enough. Because he was there in critical care due to liver and kidney failure and blood cancer we know he had care from an exceptional doctors. Thank God he is doing better but had he not had the care they provided, he probably wouldn't have survived. If I may I would like to mention a few of his doctors. Dr. Steven Kim, Dr Jamal, Dr. Tquia, Dr. Suh, and Dr. Leung! A wonderful hospitality. I could go on but on behalf of my family, I thank God for St. Jude."

- Evelyn Harris

"On behalf of my father's (Pablo Juares Caballero) memory who passed away on November 8, 2015, I write to thank the St Joseph Health group with my father's long battle with stomach cancer. Since being diagnosed on January 2012, St Joseph Health group team had been constantly monitoring my father's health and did an incredible job coordinating with different medical specialists in their fields in order to treat my father’s health condition. I thank the St Joseph Health group for the time, patience, and dedication they had with my father’s health and showing us the right direction in helping him cope with cancer.

I would like recognition to be given to all doctors and nurses involved during my father’s cancer treatment which include the following: Steven Kim, MD, Terry RN, Kevin Kinzinger, MD, Cancer Center Infusion nurses, Karen Godinez, RD, David J. Park, MD, Timothy Joseph, MD, and Cat Lab Nurses. The Caballero Family appreciates your time, professionalism, and effort given to my father and thank you greatly for everything that was done."

- Carlos Caballero (Son)