Patients needing certain types of surgery at Providence Alaska Medical Center now have the option of experiencing less invasive procedures with shorter recovery times and fewer risks of postoperative complications thanks to an investment in robotics technology. Providence has installed the da Vinci® surgical robotics system manufactured by Intuitive Surgical, Inc. of Sunnyvale, California.
Robotic-assisted surgery is a new way of performing minimally invasive procedures, incorporating techniques that allow a surgeon to operate through several small incisions, or ports, about the size of a dime. The da Vinci® system is an “intuitive” laparoscopic surgical robot that integrates a surgeon’s skill with the latest advancements in robotics and computer-enhanced technology.
The da Vinci® robotics system allows a surgeon to work with incredible accuracy while minimizing invasiveness to the body, and from a patient’s standpoint, that means surgical precision and more postoperative comfort. It’s the best in patient care.
Benefits to Patients
- Reduced trauma and increased precision offer significant benefits for patients, including:
- Less pain
- Less blood loss
- Faster recovery
- Reduced risk of complications following surgery
- Reduced scarring
Benefits to Surgeons
- The use of computer technology introduces several improvements over what is possible with the human eye and hand:
- The high-resolution, real-time video image can be magnified to obtain the best possible view of the operative site
- The surgical wrist is more flexible than the human wrist, improving maneuverability around organs and vessels.
- Hand tremors are eliminated, allowing maximum precision
Providence has a long history of bringing technology to the state, ensuring Alaskans have access to the very best technology available today right here at home.