Birth Certificate and Social Security Information

During your hospital stay, you'll receive forms for a birth certificate and a Social Security number for your newborn. These are important documents for establishing your baby's identification.

Birth certificate

Each new mother is requested by the Department of Health Statistics to complete a Washington State Birth Filing Form. Please complete the form and give it to your nurse.

Get a copy of your baby's birth certificate

To receive a copy of your baby’sbirth certificate, you can complete the Snohomish Health District's birth certificate order form. A fee is required with the application. You will receive this form in the hospital.

The information provided to the State of Washington via the birth certificate does several things:

  • Creates a computer file for printing the Washington State Certified Birth Certificate. This is an individual’s first legal identity document and it is used as a basis of identity for later documents such as a driver’s license, state ID card, passport or school and work ID. Each certified copy is available for a fee.
  • Provides information about ethnicity, marriage status, residence, program enrollment and occupation which is entered in the state's database to track population trends and public service needs.
  • Establishes the baby’s legal name, and date, time and place of birth. It also records the name of the infant’s mother for his/her birth record. If the mother is married, the name of the father is also entered. If the mother is not married and paternity has not been established, information under “father” will not be included in the birth filing. For unmarried parents, a paternity affidavit must be filed to have the father’s name placed on the birth certificate. A mother may name her baby whatever she chooses, however having the same last name does not establish legal relationship.

Paternity affidavit

A paternity affidavit is one of two ways for unmarried parents to legally establish paternity of a child. It is the fastest and easiest way and it does not require a court proceeding. You will be provided with a paternity affidavit on admission if you need one. Both parents must sign the affidavit in the presence of a notary and listen to a phone message. If you file at the hospital within five days of birth, you will not have to pay a filing fee. Please ask your nurse if you need a paternity affidavit or notary services.

Social Security number

If you wish to claim your baby on your income tax return the following year, your child will need a Social Security number.

How to apply

Check the box on the birth certificate form that you will fill out in the hospital when your baby is born. Your baby’s Social Security card will be mailed to your home within four to six weeks.

For more information

If you need more information, call the Social Security Office at 800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need information concerning your income tax return, you can call the Internal Revenue Office at 800-829-1040 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If you need a Social Security card in less than two months

  • You will need documentation of your baby’s birth. We will give you a birth document that has your baby’s footprints, name and birth date. This is not an official birth certificate, but you may use it to apply for a Social Security card for the baby.
  • You will need a second piece of identification for the baby, so remember to bring the baby’s identification bracelet or crib card.
  • You will need proper identification for yourself such as a driver’s license, passport, school ID card, health insurance card or any of the acceptable documents listed on the Social Security card application.
  • Complete the Social Security card application and bring it with the items mentioned above to the nearest Social Security Office.
  • This must be done in person, not by mail. Documents must be originals and not photocopies. Learn more by visiting the site or stop by the Everett Social Security Office at 8265 Evergreen Way, Suite 250, Everett, WA 98208.