Providence Spokane Neuroscience Institute
From detection to treatment to rehabilitation, Providence Spokane Neuroscience Institute is the region’s most comprehensive resource for the treatment of illness or injuries to the brain and spine. Our expert medical team utilizes the most advanced technology and treatment options, offering progressive medical and surgical treatments in virtually every neurological field.
Providence Neuroscience Center at Sacred Heart Medical Center is unique as our region’s only Thrombectomy Stroke Center certified by the Joint Commission.
Our clinical services include:
- Comprehensive Spine Center
Expertise and treatment for patients with neck and low back pain including herniated discs, scoliosis and spinal tumors.
- Stroke and Neurovascular Care
Emergency medicine, neurology, neuro-radiology, interventional neuro-radiology and neurosurgery complement advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies to provide patients the best chance for recovery from stroke. Sacred Heart’s Thrombectomy Stroke Center has earned the Gold Seal of Quality from The Joint Commission.
- Brain Tumors
Advanced care for the treatment of brain tumors is available through the collaborative care of neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists.
- Cognitive and Dementia Care
Our cognitive care specialists provide diagnosis, evaluation and treatment for Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI), Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
New options for headache sufferers are available from neurologists who have special training and expertise in this area.
- Cerebral Aneurysm
Many people associate aneurysms with sudden, unexpected death. Aneurysms are not only survivable, they’re treatable.
Our physician sub-specialization in epilepsy provides advanced care for the treatment of intractable epilepsy.
- Multiple Sclerosis
Our specialists offer the latest treatments for Multiple Sclerosis by participating in the latest research available. Our goal is to improve the quality of life for those living with MS.
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
Pediatric-trained neurosurgeons specialize in neurological disorders in children as part of Sacred Heart’s comprehensive Children’s Hospital.
- Carotid Stenting (to prevent stroke)
Interventional radiologists stay at the forefront of medicine with landmark research and medical treatments found only at Sacred Heart.
- Diagnostics and Detection
Through a partnership with Inland Imaging – the largest group of specialty trained radiologists in the region – the most advanced radiology technology is available to patients with brain and neurological disorders (such as MRIs, PET, MRS, etc.).
When a stroke happens, every minute counts. Our team utilizes their expertise, technology and collective collaboration to deliver fast and thorough treatment for stroke patients in the Spokane and the Inland Northwest.
Sacred Heart has been recognized for its stroke care programs since 2003. In 2019, Sacred Heart became a Joint Commission certified Thrombectomy Capable Stroke Center, which offers around-the-clock advanced treatment and care.
For the thirteenth consecutive year, Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center and Children’s Hospital was honored with American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center also received the association’s Target: StrokeSM Elite Plus Honor Roll award. They also received the Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll.
When you need surgery for your brain, the team at the Providence Neurosurgery Center at Sacred Heart Medical Center provides the safest and best care for your precise condition.
When you come to the Providence Neurosurgery Center, you get access to the advanced resources and technology at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children’s Hospital.
Our neurosurgeons are recognized for their clinical expertise and their research in advancing the field of neurosurgery, including interventional neuroradiology and pediatric neurosurgery.
Our doctors and surgeons are specialists who care for patients with problems of the cerebrovascular system, head, peripheral nerves and spine.
Our treatments and services include:
- Carotid artery surgery and endovascular treatment
- Computer-assisted stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery to accurately locate, remove or otherwise treat brain tumors
- Computer-assisted surgeries for spinal disorders, including microscopic and endoscopic surgery
- Deep brain stimulation for movement disorders, including Parkinson’s disease (watch a video about Deep Brain Stimulation)
- Endovascular coiling procedure for cerebral aneurysms, vascular tumors, malformations, occlusions and ischemia
- Functional and stereotactic neurosurgeries use CT scans or MRI for guidance to allow for minimally invasive procedures for brain biopsies, electrode implants and radiation
- Intracranial vascular surgery Pediatric neurosurgery for children with brain and spinal cord injuries and disorders
- Spinal tumors and vascular lesions
- Surgical treatment for trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm
- Surgery for pituitary tumors
At Providence Neuroscience Center and the Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital, the special needs of children are met with compassion and expertise to provide the highest quality of care.
We are recognized as a leader in the diagnosis and treatment of complex neurological problems of infants and children, including:
- Brain tumors
- Cerebrovascular surgery
- Closed head injuries
- Neurological infections
- Severe brain and spinal injuries
- Spinal disorders
The unique resources of the Children’s Hospital’s comprehensive, state-of-the-art pediatric neurosurgery program include:
- Level 2- trauma service
- Pediatric units that allow 24-hour parent interaction
- Child Life Specialists address the psychosocial and developmental issues of children in the hospital setting
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit staffed by Pediatric Intensivists
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with Neonatologists available full time
- Neurosurgical operating room with highly specialized equipment, anesthesiologists and specialty trained personnel
Sacred Heart boasts some of the nation’s leading specialists in the field of interventional neuro-radiology. Interventional neuro-radiology utilizes a thin catheter to perform diagnostic and surgical procedures within blood vessels and spinal vertebrae, while using X-ray guidance:
- BrainLAB radiosurgery utilizes a specially-equipped linear accelerator that is able to deliver high radiation doses to very small targets with extreme precision. The treatment is fast and typically non-invasive, and thanks to BrainLAB's advanced mapping, the radioactive beam is directed precisely to you tumor or lesion, ensuring that the best possible treatment dose is delivered while healthy tissue is protected.
- Endovascular surgery is used to treat a variety of cerebrovascular diseases (disorders of the blood vessels of the head and neck) including stroke, aneurysms, tumors and arteriovenous malformations and dural arteriovenous fistulas. Many of these diseases are untreatable though conventional surgery, but can be treated through endovascular neurosurgery techniques.
- Endovascular procedures are performed in the angiographic suite in Radiology as opposed to the operating room. A team approach involving neurosurgery, neuroradiology and neurology – along with the use of the highest quality angiographic equipment – is essential for optimal results. Endovascular procedures are often used to:
- Visualize blood vessels through cerebral angiography
- Open clogged or narrowed arteries
- Stabilize weak and bulging vessels
- Seal off specific blood vessels prior to surgery to minimize bleeding during the operation
If you’re living with back or neck pain that won’t go away, we can help. The doctors, nurses and therapists at the Providence Spine Program at Sacred Heart Medical Center specialize in providing screening, diagnosis and treatment for injuries and neurological disorders of the back, neck and spine.
We work with many different doctors and therapists to provide care that is focused on getting you back to your regular activities as safely and quickly as possible.
Our neurologists and spine doctors treat all types of spine conditions, including:
- Adult scoliosis
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar conditions
- Herniated discs
- Lower back pain
- Occipitocervical junction disorders
- Spinal arteriovenous malformations
- Spinal cord injury
- Spinal deformities
- Spine and spinal cord tumors
- Spine fractures
Our doctors and therapists provide surgical and non-surgical treatments for spinal disorders. Your doctor will recommend the treatment plan that is best for your condition. This may include rehabilitation, surgery or both.
If you need surgery, the neurosurgeons at the Providence Spine Program at Sacred Heart Medical Center use the most advanced techniques, including minimally invasive microsurgical procedures for neck and lumbar conditions. Using the latest advanced technology and image guidance, we make sure your procedure and recovery are as successful as possible.
Our registered nurses are specially trained in body mechanics, expediting the healing and recovery processes and neurological and orthopedic care.
Rehabilitation gives you the chance to build strength before a procedure and to rebuild coordination, mobility and strength afterward. Your rehab program may include:
- Exercise physiology
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
Our therapists and doctors are committed to making sure you have an optimal recovery.
Providence Spokane Neuroscience Institute is committed to partnering with you and your patients to help them get back to what’s possible. We keep patients at the center of everything we do, and we work together with you to provide advanced brain and spine care. Plus, with new providers on board, we’re even better equipped to take care of your patient.
Our expanded team of neurosurgeons and neurologists, many of whom completed subspecialty fellowships at prestigious academic centers, provide comprehensive care for neurosurgical brain and spine disorders as well as neurologic conditions including multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and more. We also offer pediatric neurosurgical care and coordinate with St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Institute for restorative therapies.
Finding the right specialist can be challenging. Our Provider Engagement Center is designed to ensure your patients receive the right care when they need it most. To get started, call 844-552-2734 or complete the online request form.
Expect to stay abreast of your patient’s progress. We’ll promptly share information about test results, procedures and next steps.
Our specialists are here to supplement the care you already provide. We respect the relationship you’ve cultivated with your patients, and we partner with you on their journey.
Find a Doctor
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.