Providence Medical Research Center
We’ve positioned ourselves as a regional leader in clinical research through the creation and support of the Providence Medical Research Center in Spokane, Washington.
Located on the Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children’s Hospital campus, our center is the only physician-led comprehensive medical research center in the Inland Northwest. We coordinate a diverse spectrum of research studies via federally funded programs and industry-sponsored drug and device trials.
Providence Medical Research Center allows Pacific Northwest residents to have access to the latest advances in medical research through Providence-affiliated clinicians and physician investigators. These providers’ specialties include heart and vascular diseases, kidney disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, nutrition, bowel disease, cancer, neurological conditions, and more.
Our work supports the mission of Providence by advancing knowledge essential to improving care for all – especially the poor and the vulnerable.
If your research will take place in any of the following Providence health care facilities, your first step is to complete the intake form below. Our staff will contact you with the next steps.
- Providence Holy Family Hospital
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children’s Hospital
- Providence St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Medical Center
- Providence Mount Carmel Hospital
- Providence St. Joseph’s Hospital
- Providence Medical Group Clinics
We employ a centralized research administration model to support and oversee the core clinical research activities at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children’s Hospital, Providence Holy Family Hospital, and Providence St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Medical Center in Spokane, WA.
We also provide regulatory assistance, including preparation and submission of materials for review by the institutional review board.
Specifically, we can:
- Provide certified research coordinators to assist in trial management
- Complete all regulatory forms and assessment of regulatory compliance in clinical trial procedures, including severe adverse event reporting and protocol deviations
- Enroll patients and collect data for clinical trials
- Develop protocols and informed consent forms and other materials for human subjects’ review
- Facilitate institutional review board approvals
- Manage interest and site feasibility surveys
- Manage study timelines and serve as a liaison between sponsors and investigators
- Provide pharmacy support, including training of clinical/hospital site staff, shipping and dispensing of study drug and management of drug inventories
- Coordinate other services (e.g., contract & budget negotiation and research billing) through the Providence system Office of Research Administration
Medical research studies we conduct in Eastern Washington include FDA-regulated clinical trials, federally sponsored research programs, patient registries and local investigator-initiated projects. We oversee active research protocols and clinical trials in a wide variety of medical specialties.
If you are interested in finding current open/enrolling studies, please visit the Research Network Clinical Trials page.
- Cystic fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis Patient Registry
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Infectious Disease
- COVID-19. Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center was designated by the US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in 2015 as one of the 10 regional special pathogens treatment centers in the country, serving Region 10 (Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and Alaska). Sacred Heart was one of the first US locations asked to care for and treat COVID-19 patients in the Special Pathogens Unit.
- Interventional Radiology
- Substance Abuse
Cardiology research involves many aspects of the heart and vascular system. From structural abnormalities to diseases of the heart and vascular system, and implantable devices that help the heart function. Some of these are:
- Abnormal heart rhythms or arrhythmias
- Congenital heart disease
- Coronary artery disease, including heart attack
- Heart failure
- Heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy)
- Heart valve disease
- Pericardial disease
Vascular studies use high-frequency sound waves (ultrasound) to measure the amount of blood flow in your blood vessels. Some of these are:
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Pulmonary embolism
Nephrology is the subspecialty of internal medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the kidney. Because the kidney performs so many critical functions, nephrologists maintain expertise in primary kidney disorders, but also the management of the systemic consequences of kidney disfunction.
- Kidney transplant
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a major public health problem, and the number of people with CKD is growing much faster than most health systems can manage. Providence Inland Northwest Washington (INWA) and the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) are working together to create the largest CKD patient registry in the country, with the goal of advancing the discovery of long-term solutions for CKD.
- Learn more about the INWA-UCLA -CKD Registry Project.
- Diabetic Kidney Disease
- IgA Nephropathy
- Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis
Research in the field of neurology studies a variety of disorders and aspects of the nervous system, including:
- Multiple sclerosis (MS). The Providence Multiple Sclerosis Clinic participates in patient registries as well as new drug trials to improve health outcomes and quality of life for MS patients.
- Neurosurgery. Our neurosurgery research includes new device trials as well as registry studies following patient outcomes after spinal surgery.
- Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s disease studies within Providence study new surgical treatments for this neurological disease.
- Stroke. Stroke studies within Providence in Spokane include patient registries and genetic studies.
- Neuromuscular diseases (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Charcot-Marie-Tooth, muscular dystrophy). Our neuromuscular disease research includes investigational drug trials as well as registry studies following patient outcomes.
Providence St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Medical Center
We are part of the National Cancer Institute’s Children’s Oncology Group (COG), a nationwide collaborative group focused on eradicating childhood cancers. Currently, Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital participates in more than 70 studies in the COG network, offering treatment for a wide variety of children’s cancers. New studies are opened constantly in order to provide Inland Northwest children and adolescents with cancer access to new therapies.
Please contact us at least twelve (12) weeks in advance of the submission deadline.
If you have questions, please send us an email.
Providence supports scholarly research in a variety of degrees and programs. For more information about the requirements and rules for scholarly research, contact PSJH IRB Determination.
We are dedicated to promoting and enhancing quality clinical research activities in the Inland Northwest.
Understanding the highly competitive nature of drug and device development studies, we strive to provide transparent and efficient processes to ensure timely implementation of new clinical trials while also conducting ongoing quality studies.career website.
Every gift to the Providence INWA Foundation is vital to helping us fulfill our mission to improve the lives of people within the Pacific Northwest.
To designate your donation go to Providence Research, in the “I would like to support:” window, enter Providence Medical Research Center. It will then direct the Foundation on where to deposit the funds.With your generous donation to Providence Medical Research Center, we will be able to fund additional studies that can help ease the way for many of our patients.